Instagram and Nonprofits
The ethos of Instagram makes it the perfect platform for nonprofits. Why is that? Well, consider the reason users follow the accounts that they do. Typically, Instagram users follow people and accounts they believe in, align with, or at the very least, find entertaining.
As a nonprofit, this presents an opportunity.
If you can effectively showcase your mission, you’ll access a community who will champion your efforts, helping you share your message, raise donations, and embrace your cause.
Here’s everything you need to know about Instagram for nonprofits.
Why Should Nonprofits Use Instagram?
Nonprofits use Instagram to communicate their mission or cause to followers through mixed visual media, including text, photos, videos, and live streams.
As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. In Instagram’s case, it’s worth a billion. With over 1 billion active monthly users, the social media platform reaches a staggering number of users all over the world.
What does that mean for your nonprofit? Increased viewership and donation capabilities.
How Do You Set Up A Charity Account On Instagram?
So, you want to set up a charity account on Instagram. What are the steps? Thankfully, there’s just three:
- To access Instagram’s donation functions—Donation Button, Donation Stickers, and Live Donations—you’ll need to sign up for Facebook Charitable Giving Tools. (Yes, this means you will need a Facebook account as well.)
- Link your Instagram account to your Facebook account by going to “Edit Profile.” Then, in the Public Business Information section, press “Page.” From there, choose the Page you’d like to connect—i.e., your Facebook account.
- Switch your Instagram account to a Business Account and voila! You now have access to donation tools that will set your campaign into motion.
Once you’re ready, the fun (and the strategy) begins.
Where to Start: Instagram Strategy for Nonprofits
When it comes to social media strategy, there are two primary toolkits at your disposal:
- Instagram Business Tools
- Instagram Donation Tools
Instagram Business Tools: How To Analyze User Interaction
As noted, nonprofits can register as a business account on Instagram. This type of account offers your team advanced analytics tools that depict a number of measurements, including impressions, reach, and engagement rate.
In simple terms, impressions are the number of times your content was shown to users. Reach, on the other hand, represents the number of unique users that saw your post or story within a given day. Last, but certainly not least, is engagement. This measurement reveals how and how often your followers interact with your content.
The engagement rate can depict how well one campaign or messaging strategy performed in relation to another, providing a useful tool for nonprofits wishing to hone their engagement strategies.
Instagram Donation Features: How to Spread the Love and Receive the Love
After completing the Instagram account setup and connecting the nonprofit’s Facebook account, your nonprofit will then be eligible to use Instagram’s donation tools, like Donation Stickers, Live Donations, and a Donation Button.
These tools allow charities and nonprofits to raise money directly through its business account. The Donation button can also be added to the top of your business profile, alongside promotions and contact information—which makes raising funds that much more streamlined.
Optimize Your Instagram Account for Success
When optimizing Instagram for charities or nonprofits, there are a variety of methods to implement, including:
- Curating your content – Represent your organization’s mission accurately with a cohesive aesthetic and unified language to share your distinct message. From there, utilize a variety of media content, including videos, photos, and stories to increase and encourage engagement.
- Posting Regularly – Two of the most important factors when running an Instagram account is when you’re posting and the consistency at which you post. Instagram analytics provide the best times of the day to post to ensure a high level of user engagement. The regularity at which you post will also increase your engagement levels. Consider using a third-party app to schedule your posts ahead of time.
- Utilizing Stories and Story Highlights – Instagram Stories provide a great way to share what’s happening real-time, whether it’s a fundraising event or a behind-the-scenes look at what makes your charity unique. Since stories only last 24 hours, account owners can save favorites to a reel of highlights that are showcased at the top of your Instagram profile.
- Making Reels – As the newest addition to the Instagram family of content, reels provide a unique opportunity to showcase your charity or nonprofit through 15-second videos, complete with audio, special effects, and creative tools. Unlike Instagram Stories, reels are everlasting and publicly stored on your Instagram profile.
- Utilizing Hashtags – Whether it’s a branded hashtag curated to further the reach of your nonprofit or a popular community hashtag, these pound-signs are a must-use tool that boosts your most important content.
- Promoting Fundraising Events – Wondering how to promote a fundraiser on Instagram? It’s actually quite simple, especially for new users. Simply tap “Add Fundraiser” in your “Edit Profile” tab and select “Raise Money.” Just add a photo and a few event details, then send it off for review. Once approved, your fundraiser can last 30 days, with an option for an extension.
Curate Your Content Alongside Puzzle Pieces Marketing
Here at Puzzle Pieces Marketing, we’re all about mission-driven marketing. As a nonprofit-specific marketing agency, we hope to join forces with nonprofits to share engaging stories, inspire action, and cultivate connection—with an added touch of creativity, of course!
Reach out today to see how we can help you with your social media strategy.
Business of Apps. Instagram Revenue and Usage Statistics (2021). https://www.businessofapps.com/data/instagram-statistics/
Facebook. How to Add an Instagram Donation Sticker or Donate Button. https://www.facebook.com/business/learn/lessons/how-to-add-an-instagram-donation-sticker-or-donate-button