Donations On Instagram
In-person events are a great way to raise money for your nonprofit, but let’s face it: they’re not perfect. In the era of Covid-19, planning, staffing, and pulling off an IRL function can be both time- and cost-intensive—not to mention the Herculean task of getting guests to actually commit to a date.
So, is there an effective way to circumvent the rigamarole, promote public awareness, and raise donations for your nonprofit?
The answer may be right in your pocket: Instagram’s Donate Button.
Read on to learn everything you need to know about Instagram’s Donate Button so you can take part in this new frontier of the nonprofit world and keep the tools to boost your organization at your fingertips.
How Instagram’s Donation Button Works
Since the Instagram Donate Button entered the scene in 2019, everyone from individual creators to NGOs has been able to shore up funds with the single-path tap of a thumb.
Because Meta (formerly known as Facebook) owns Instagram, you’ll need to sign up for Facebook’s Charitable Giving Tools through your nonprofit’s Facebook page to get started. From there, your organizations can net funds through two avenues:
- Donations made directly to your nonprofit
- Donations collected by supporters on behalf of your nonprofit
Once you’ve set yourself up, you’ll be able to collect donations straight from the app.
Donations Through Instagram: Why It’s Effective
The advent of Instagram’s Donate Button has vastly improved nonprofits’ ability to do good in several arenas:
- Ease of contribution – Rather than relying on a single event or fundraiser to be a hit, the Donate Button means you’ll be able to passively reap contributions around the clock. Moreover, the digital nonprofit world has made it possible for more users to seamlessly make microdonations—small sums as low as $5 which, in aggregate, can help you meet your landmarks and make a real, tangible difference.
- Elevating awareness – The infinite content capacity of online platforms has made it easier than ever to educate the public about the cornerstone issues of your cause. Visually linking avenues for fundraising with your content can be a major morale boost: you’ll be illustrating to your supporters that you barely have to lift a finger (well, maybe just one) to make a meaningful impact.
- Connecting with your audience – In addition to monetary support, the Donate Button is a critical tool for bonding with your supporters and shoring up your organization. You’ll also reach a new stratum of potential supporters through their circle of followers, who can learn the basics of your organization by the pop-up bio included with the feature.
Clearly, there is no shortage of ways this dynamic social media tool can help you shore up your organization and change. So, how to get started? Let’s find out, step-by-step.
How To Add A Donation Button To Your Instagram Profile
Before you crack open your Instagram, the quest to clinch your nonprofit’s Instagram Donation Button starts on Meta.
Step #1: The Charitable Giving Tools Instagram Application
First, make sure your organization’s page is registered for Facebook’s Charitable Giving Tools. The application requirements vary by country and state, but if you’re based in the U.S., you’ll just need:
- A 501(c)3 organization registration status
- A tax ID number
- Bank account details registered with a licensed financial services institution
- The date of birth and address of the nonprofit’s CEO or executive director
Then, all you need is a dose of patience while you wait 2-3 weeks for your application to be reviewed and cleared.
Step #2: Link Your Nonprofit’s Facebook to Your Instagram Page
Got the final go-ahead from Facebook? Congrats! Your next task is to ensure your nonprofit’s Facebook and Instagram pages are linked. If they’re not, here’s how to make the connection:
- Through Instagram, switch your profile to a Business (not Personal) Account if it isn’t already.
- Visit your Instagram profile and select “Edit Profile.”
- Below “Public Business Information,” select “Page.”
- Choose your nonprofit’s Facebook page.
And voilà! Your two profiles are linked, and you’re primed to add your Donation button.
Step #3: Link Your Nonprofit’s Facebook to Your Instagram Page
Beginning on Instagram, follow these steps:
- Select “Menu” in the top right corner
- Select “Settings”
- Select “Donations”
- Select “Add Donations Button To Profile”
There you have it. You’re ready to make use of your very own donation button and embark on your group’s next phase of championing the cause.
How To Use A Donation Sticker On Instagram Stories
While in-person events call for drafting volunteers in the flesh, Instagram’s Stories feature lets you recruit your friends, family, staff, and Instagram followers to show their support from the comfort of their own home.
Here’s what you need to do on your end:
- Go to your nonprofit’s Facebook page
- Select “Publishing Tools,” and then “Donation Settings.” (You should see these tabs in the fundraiser section of the toolbar.)
- Check the box that says “Allow people to add donation stickers on Instagram Stories” and click Save.
From your followers’ side of the screen, this means they’ll be able to tap the “Donations Sticker” button when drafting an Instagram story and turn up your nonprofit through the search function.
By bringing your followers into the fundraising fold, your supporters can encourage their own contacts to show some love and add a personal addendum to why the work you do—and your cause—matters. What’s more, you’ll be able to keep an eye on their Stories to see exactly how many funds were raised thanks to their word-of-mouth. Don’t be surprised if their candid promo earns you a few new followers to your Instagram page along the way!
Puzzle Pieces: How To Get a Donate Button On Instagram, Simplified
Social media has made it a whole lot easier for nonprofits to drive visibility and monetary support online, but there can be a dizzying array of tools to decipher. Figuring out how to use them is just the beginning—ultimately, garnering support, achieving your milestones, and making a difference means learning to harness these modalities with both tact and heart.
At Puzzle Pieces Marketing, it’s our mission to guide nonprofits and small businesses to achieve their fullest potential and highest good in both online and offline domains. If you’re ready to level up your IG game with fresh, fun, magnetic marketing, let us keep our finger on the pulse for you and contact us today.
Fast Company. Instagram just made it much easier for influencers to help drive charitable giving. https://www.fastcompany.com/90343152/instagram-just-made-it-much-easier-for-influencers-to-help-drive-charitable-giving
Business Insider. How to set up a donation sticker on an Instagram story to aid your favorite cause or nonprofit organization. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-set-up-donation-on-instagram